1. Read the text and put the words at the end of each line into the correct form.
What Can Computers Do?
Computers and microchips _____ (1) part of our everyday lives: we become
read magazines which _____ (2) on computer, we buy things with the produce
help of computers, we pay bills _____ (3) by computers. Just _____ (4) prepare
а phone number involves the use of а sophisticated computer system. dial
In the past, life without computers was much _____ (5) than it is today. difficult
The _____ (6) computers were able to multiply long numbers, but they one
_____ (7) do anything else. Nobody _____ (8) stories about robots not can
and space travel, but now computers are able to do almost all difficult jobs. believe
What makes your computer such а miraculous device? It is а calculating machine speed
that _____ (9) up financial calculations. It is а personal communicator
that _____ (10) you to interact with other computers and with people around enable
the world. And you can even use your PC to relax with computer games.
2. Read the text. Use the word given at the end of each line to form a word that fits the space in the same line.
A Challenge for Europe
Although recently there has been a small _____ (1) in the number of people out reduce
of work in Europe, _____ (2) is still the number one _____ (3) employ, society
problem facing the 15 member states of the European Union. Moreover,
_____ (4) of opportunity between men and women is still an issue that equal
_____ (5) in many countries have not come to grips with. In _____ (6) political, professional
such as law and engineering women are still noticeable by their
absence. _____ (7) still discriminate against women in a number of employ
ways even if their _____ (8) are the same as those of men. It would qualify
be a pity if the _____ (9) of the EU on an economic level were marred achieve
by _____ (10) in the vital area of social policy. fail
3. Choose the most suitable word for each space.
Trees are amongst the biggest and longest-living things on Earth, some dating back longer than the oldest buildings. But _____ (1) being nice to look at, trees also _____ (2) an important role in improving the quality of our lives. On a world-wide _____ (3), forests help to slow down the effects of global warming by using up the gas _____ (4) as carbon dioxide and giving _____ (5) the oxygen we need to breathe. At local neighbourhood level, trees also _____ (6) important environmental benefits. They offer shade and shelter, which in _____ (7) reduces the amount of energy needed to heat and cool _____ (8) buildings; at the same time, they also remove other impurities from the air we breathe. Urban trees are especially important because for many people they provide the only daily _____ (9) with the natural world. What’s _____ (10), urban trees also provide a home for birds, small animals and butterflies. _____ (11) the trees we would lose the pleasure of seeing these creatures in our cities. Regrettably, _____ (12), trees in cities are now coming under _____ (13). There is a limit to the level of pollution they can _____ (14) and, down at street level, their roots are being seriously _____ (15) by the digging needed to make way for modern telephone, television and other cables.
1. a) as far as b) as long as c) as soon as d) as well as
2. a) play b) show c) act d) serve
3. a) scale b) size c) range d) area
4. a) called b) known c) titled d) referred
5. a) in b) away c) up d) out
6. a) bring b) make c) take d) find
7. a) turn b) place c) order d) reach
8. a) opposite b) close c) next d) nearby
9. a) junction b) touch c) contact d) taste
10. a) more b) else c) most d) other
11. a) Throughout b) Beyond c) Without d) Outside
12. a) therefore b) whilst c) however d) despite
13. a) risk b) threat c) danger d) warning
14. a) stand in for b) face up to c) put up with d) fall back on
15. a) concerned b) disturbed c) interfered d) involved